Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Becoming Better- A Very Long Journey

It was the day before Halloween, or at least the day before the halloween celebrations started in Utah.  The craft store was crowded, so I grabbed a number for the fabric cutting counter even before I took a look at the cotton and polyester blends.  The red felt jumped out at me rather quickly and the sale sign above it kept my attention, so I grabbed a whole bolt of the fabric and headed back what what sure to be a long wait in the "to be cut" line.  When I looked up I saw a familiar face.  She was one of my High School Counselors and she remembered me.  She told me of her struggles with her health and of her joy, her family.  She told me about how she is in the middle of writing a book.  One that she hopes will inspire people.  She talked about how therapeutic she found writing down the thoughts in her head.  After she left I wondered what I could do to inspire others or at least myself to be better.

Maybe that is why I am so attracted to writing. Its what I do all day for work, and I love to read the words that others write when I get home.

Today on our show we talked about one woman's idea she is calling the Happiness Project.  In her book she talks about how our mood affects our families.  but it doesn't end there.  The things that we do, affects over 200 people a day. Imagine that.  You can improve over 200 people's day by telling your friends how you have seen the hand of God in your life that day, or you could spread the good news that your child took her first steps.  On the other hand we could spread the negativity of a mean comment, or the bad day.  I am going to try to think about what I am sharing with my friends because they share a piece of it with theirs and I affect the world.

One of my favorite things a woman I look up to says is "Lets be mad about it for a minute and get over it,"  we then vent, release all of our tension by talking and are done with it.  We all need that time to share our feelings, good or bad.  Our emotions aren't good or bad--- they are indicators of what is going on in our lives.  I'm not a bad person because I am angry with someone that stole my lunch from the fridge.  But I am not the best person I could be if I let it ruin my day.

In short I think that my high school counselor was right... writing is therapeutic and I hope to give myself more time to do it and though it to become a better person!


Love all of you!  Spread that around the world!

2 comments:

bobandhaley said...

Amanda, that was perfect! We have some problems with gossip in our little branch, and because we are soo little it gets around fast. Do you mind if I share a little of what you just wrote in Relief Society?

Bekah said...

You are amazing and one of the most loving, freespirited woman I know! I am so glad to know you!